RE: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:01:21 -0600

-----Original Message-----

From: Eric Buddelmeijer [mailto:Eric.Buddelmeijer_at_elegant.nl] Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 11:30 AM To: mfontana_at_verio.net; Oracle-L_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

Michael,

I Like one suggestion earlier in this thread about fuser. I have been trying to get our sa's to incorporate it in some sort of wrapping for rm (alias, link, function or other). Precisely because fuser will tell you if a user, and even which one is using a file. Problem is I can't do it myself because you need root privileges to use fuser, at least on the versions of solaris I have seen (2.8 and 2.9). And the sa's have not found the time to work around that. But there is also a chance fuser will not tell you that the file is being used because it in fact it is not. Oracle might not have each and every file opened. And the database could be down as well. Having said all that, maybe communication with your colleaques is the best solution. Tell them when you put some essential files in an unlikely place. So they know the files must not be deleted.

Thoughtful response.

I will look into "fuser".

Still waiting to hear it verified that AIX does, in fact, tag the files as in use.

As for putting essential files in unlikely placed - see my comments about how we're sometimes forced to. It's never a good idea. It's sometimes even done by accident. For example - we have 5 Siebels running on a server - named sbladev1, sblkdev1, sblhdev1, sblatng1, sblzdev1. Some poor DBA who will remain nameless (it could even be me!!!) might add a datafile for sbladev1 under the sblkdev1 directory. Then, someone asks for a refresh of sblkdev1, and another DBA whacks all the files under sblkdev1. Whoops!

He would at least get a message back in AIX, but not solaris.

You get the picture?

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Feb 01 2005 - 13:03:59 CST