RE: Reverse Engineering for Oracle Designer

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:04:55 -0500

Kean,

Start the RON.
Right click on "Global Shared WorkArea" - select "Create Child/Application System.
Within the Application, create an Oracle Database. Create the User.

Start the Design Editor.
Click on the "DB Admin" Tab.
Select "Generate|Capture Design of|Server Model" from the menu. Enter the Source of Design Capture as your database and enter the connect information.
Select the Target Container and Capture Implementations Into via the drop-down.

Reverse Engineer the items separately in the following order:

Roles
Users (You can create these users by hand if you want to). Tablespaces
Tables
PL/SQL stuff (triggers, Procs & Packages).

Triggers will come automatically of you selected the option on the capture window. A new diagram will be automatically created for you - but it is slower. I usually create my diagrams by hand.

This is not a trivial task. Capturing the tables can take a long time. But once you do it, keeping it up to date is not a big deal.

Good Luck!

Tom