Re: Rough order of magnitude for rows/second

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:37:42 -0500

Sol,
It sounds like you have been saddled with a nasty (really, unanswerable) requirement
by some damagement, er, management type.

I will say that I've heard Jonathan Lewis quote a (VERY ROUGH) number of  APPROXIMATELY 10,000 buffer gets/second/100MHz of CPU. This of course assumes a few things:

Finally, if you can get past all that and make the rule work for you, guess what?
That only estimates buffer gets/sec, NOT rows/sec. Why? Well, how do buffer
gets relate to rows? Well, it varies GREATLY, depending on access path. Are you
selecting by primary key from a hash cluster? You may only expend 1 buffer get/row,
ideally. What about index driven access by primary key? Depends on the blevel of
the index. Also, are the selected column(s) contained within the index? If not, that
table access by rowid is another buffer get. Now, range scans, wow! They can
really vary depending on the type of query and the suitability of the index. Full table
scans, again can vary wildly in their efficiency, depending on how many blocks are
below the HWM and how many rows are in the table. Also, are you doing array
fetches? How large is the array? If it's only 10 elements, and you're fetching
100,000 rows, you'll incur significant extra buffer gets there.

There's probably tons of other factors too, but I've listed some of the most common
ones. At best, this will serve as a strong argument to your damager that coming up
with rows/sec is simply not a practical exercise. Selling buffer gets/sec to a nontechnical
 manager is probably tough, cause they're not *real*. They are not the
end product that he sees. If you're really stuck, and have no choice, you may first
try the 10k buffer gets/sec rule and see how well that works for you. (Don't be
surprised if your results vary significantly from the 10k, as long as they are repeatable
and consistent.) Once you've got a handle on that, look at your application. Look
at the most common queries, and analyze them for frequency of execution, rows
returned and buffer gets. You *may* be able to back into a rough number of
rows/sec, from there. Maybe....

Hope that helps,

-Mark

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 21:40, sol beach wrote:

> Yes, I realize "it depends" on many factors.
> Assume sufficient CPU, RAM & I/O exist; a lightly loaded OLTP system
> For the query below what is the rough order of magnitude for
> rows/second being read
> 1
> 10
> 100
> 1000
> 10000
> 100000
> 1000000
> 10000000
>
> SELECT d.product_id id,
>
> d.name data,
>
> NULL url,
>
> COUNT(DISTINCT li.customer_id) customers,
>
> COUNT(DISTINCT li.order_id) orders,
>
> SUM(li.price) revenue,
>
> SUM(li.shipping) shipping,
>
> SUM(li.qty) products,
>
> DECODE(COUNT(DISTINCT li.order_id), 0, 0,
> SUM(li.price)/COUNT(DISTINCT li.order_id)) avg_selling_price,
>
> SUM(li.discount) discount
>
> FROM DW_2000000010525.line_item li,
>
> DW_2000000010525.product d
>
> WHERE li.date_created >= TO_DATE('2004-12-23','YYYY-MM-DD')
>
> AND li.date_created < TO_DATE('2004-12-24','YYYY-MM-DD')
>
> AND li.product_id = d.product_id
>
> AND li.prod_category_id = 3611326867412
>
> GROUP BY d.name,
>
> d.product_id,
>
> NULL
>
> ORDER BY ORDERS DESC,
>
> d.product_id

Mark J. Bobak
mark_at_bobak.net
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts."  --Richard P.
Feynman