Re: BAST in RAC

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:04:23 -0700

Mladen,

With all due respect...

Having also programmed systems in both VMS and UNIX, I don't see the functional difference between ASTs in VMS and signals in UNIX. Obviously the APIs are quite different, but from a systems programming perspective:

...and, most relevant to this discussion, both are utilized by programmers in the same fashion, for the same purpose, to implement the same functionality, on each of their respective operating systems.

>> I see that RDB gang has exercised some terminological influence >> over the rest of Oracle Corp.

As a significant portion of Oracle's OPS/RAC products and personnel were purchased directly from DEC/Compaq in two waves (i.e. Rdb purchase from DEC in 1996 and TruCluster license from Compaq in 2001), it is hardly surprising that terms that had previously crossed over from VMS to Tru64 have now crossed over into Oracle. I'm sure that some similar influence has doubtlessly crossed the other way (i.e. terms like "profit", "market share", and "winning strategy" come to mind :-) )...

>> Your description of AST is what is scientifically known as mumbo-jumbo >> (Oracle* Mumbo-Jumbo 10g) and makes no sense whatsoever.

Or, perhaps the two functionalities are so similar as to be functionally interchangeable, especially at higher layers in the code. Since only a few layers of Oracle are port-specific, nitpicking on platform-specific definitions arguably makes even less sense whatsoever.

>> Somebody probably wanted to look smart, so they used those words without >> explanation or definition.

Probably not.

More likely, a system like OPS/RAC, abstracted from all operating systems, is not bound by platform-specific definitions. The terms used are those which are most useful and (yes) most familiar. They're humans, not gods/goddesses.

I agree that it would be useful if the quality of Oracle documentation was better, but rather than getting hung up on that, one can always refer to online VMS documentation at places like
"http://h71000.www7.hp.com/DOC/731FINAL/5841/5841pro_023.html#overview_ast" or to online UNIX documentation at places like "http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~almeroth/classes/W99.276/assignment1/signals.html".

Peace.

-Tim