Re: BAST in RAC

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:36:22 +0000

On 12/25/2004 12:04:23 PM, Tim Gorman wrote:
> Mladen,

>=20

> With all due respect...
>=20

> Having also programmed systems in both VMS and UNIX, I don't see the
> functional difference between ASTs in VMS and signals in UNIX.

The functional difference is that AST made it possible to execute your code in the context of another process. Signals do not offer that possibility.

> Obviously
> the APIs are quite different, but from a systems programming
> perspective:

>=20

> * both are software based, neither is hardware based
> * both execute handler code recursively in most cases, or...
> * both interrupt certain types of calls unconditionally

Yes, this is true. I was protesting the formulation. When somebody says that "process delivers blocking AST" to another Unix process, he should =20 better explain his definitions. As for the AST implementation, it is =20 explained in detail, together with the source code, on =20 http://opendlm.sourceforge.net.
Merry Christmas, Tim.

--=20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA