OT: RE:11i APPS DBA mailing lists, OAUG DB SIG, Hotsos meeting, was Your valuable suggestions needed.

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:42:17 -0500

www.oaug.org,

Choose "Online resources" tab

Sign up for your choice of oaugnet-dba or oaugnet (or both). The former is more focused on dba issues. Some attempt is made to focus on issues peculiar to using the Oracle e-Business suite and send folks to another list (HERE, if they have any sense) for general DBA issues. The latter is *mostly* functional issues, but also has a mix of what is called "systems administration" although it is sysadmin in the sense of managing job concurrency and access privileges within the e-Business suite as opposed to sysadmin of the machine. Another thread has broken into unfortunate disharmony in discussing the relative merits of coining new meanings for formerly precisely understood words; just please don't yell at me for calling Apps sysadmin systems administration. That's just the way it is and I didn't make it up. (In fact I was kind of snotty about it maybe a dozen years ago but it did no good.) The reason I mention it is that this is one component of the Oracle technology stack that is actually useful for managing batch job concurrency, so the non-dba list has some content that may be of interest.

Please let me know if the subscription process seems like it is going to cost you money. There may be an opportunity to join OAUG (and that's a good idea if you work on Apps a lot), but at most you may have to take a free electronic membership. At least that is how I think it is supposed to work, and I'm on the board. There is *ALWAYS* a chance that I've got this screwed up in some way.

If you're an APPs dba, you probably also should "join" the OAUG DBSIG. I guarantee there is no fee for that one. You might even win a shirt or a book if you attend our next meeting under the kind umbrella of the Hotsos symposium. Be on the lookout for the official announcement of our agenda. All y'all gonna drool. It's not exactly locked down yet, but in the published expert opinion of Cary Millsap the tentatively planned speaker is one of the best Oracle performance scientists there is (and I agree.) The folks in the rdbms kernel group have chosen to treat the OAUG DBSIG kindly, and last I saw someone I think nearly everyone on this list considers an expert furiously writing notes at the OAUG DBSIG meeting at Hotsos. (That's part of how he stays an expert.) More than one person told me they got full value for their trip from the Oracle presentation at that meeting and that the rest of Hotsos was gravy! (That's some gravy, but I know what they meant.)

I hope Ryan was making a joke, and I hope I didn't take up too much bandwidth with this largely promotional message.

Regards,

Mark W. Farnham