Re: is rebuilding indexes necessary after import?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:11:20 -0700

I had a tripod dog catch (and pass) my border collie one day. Border collies are very smart and blindingly fast, but this tripod had a superior work ethic, which is saying something (if you know border collies)...

I've also seen a two-legged dog (on TV, I think). He had lost both fore and aft left legs. He just kind of leaned to the right and got around very well, and he could turn on a dime. Marking territory must have been a cinch for him too, as he wouldn't even have to stop running to do so...

In case anyone is wondering what all this has to do with Oracle, I wanted to mention Jeff Maresh's paper entitled "In Defense of Full Table Scans" (http://www.EvDBT.com/FTS.doc), also published in SELECT magazine last year. Indexes are great, but don't bet against two- and three-legged dogs...