Re: rman backups using bcv

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:49:49 -0700

Look at a backup strategy from the standpoint of recovery scenarios. How many recovery scenarios can BCV/pair-splitting/mirror-splits/whatever handle?

  1. Full database restore and recovery (be careful about restoring those control files!)

OK, so it's a little limited on recovery scenarios, unless you want to count using OS copy commands to copy individual files back for restoral.

RMAN can still be used to backup those split-off BCVs:

  1. Put all tablespaces into BEGIN BACKUP mode
  2. Call pair-split command, create BCVs
  3. Perform END BACKUP on all tablespaces
  4. In RMAN, perform a CATALOG DATAFILECOPY command for each file in BCV
  5. In RMAN, perform BACKUP DATAFILECOPY for each file in BCV to tape

RMAN can then use whatever "copy" is nearest for restoral -- either the on-disk BCV datafile copy or the backed-up file copy on tape. You get a catalog of backup actions (i.e. RMAN repository) from which you can report and analyze, you get RMAN checking for corrupted blocks, you get all of the automated functionality of RMAN like DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE, RESTORE STANDBY, etc...