Re: When one can call oneself expert

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:33:15 +0000

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:17:25 -0600, Duret, Kathy <kduret_at_starkinvestments.com> wrote:
> Amen! I have know many Oracle "experts" with really very little knowledge.
>
> When someone calls themselves an "expert" I usually find myself recycling
> their resume and looking for another candidate. I usually find these people
> are experts at BS and not Oracle at all.

A big problem I've had is others (especially managers and recruitment consultants) calling me an expert and generally bigging up my skills when talking to others. There's been several occsions that I've been to a job interview and found that the recruitment consultant has been creative with my resume, "Some experience" becomes "Extensive experience". What's really bad is that I'm sure that this has lost me some jobs because they've called me in expecting someone who can patch a 500 node RAC cluster with zero downtime just by looking at it (OK, slight exageration) and instead they get me. I could probaby do the job they originally advertised but because they had had their expectations built up to an unrealistic level it turns them against me.

The more I find out the more I realise that there's more to learn and that a lot of what I thought was true turns out to be myth.

Stephen