INSERT versus CTAS

From: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:41:23 +0100

Hi,

What are the differencies between "create ... table as select" and "create table" + "insert /*+ parallel(...) append(...) */ into" from performance point of view?
I am interested in various tables:
- non-partitioned

Currently, I use create + insert with parallel append hints. It works reasonable fast for us - we are able to fill 100+ Gb of data within 1,5 hour.
However, inserting in partitioned IOT's is quite different. There are few problems:
- slow

We are able to overcome some problems iterating through each partition, but it's not a clean solution and performance is still far from what we target.

I want to change INSERT to CTAS, but it requires some efforts to amend the script. I assume that CTAS would be more performant for IOT since it will create index as temporary segment in table's tablespace and then just amend dictionary (object definition + hwm). So I expect to eleminate UNDO generation, reduce temporary space requirements, reduce redo, and.... well, boost performance.

Any comments/links are appreciated.

It's 9.2.0.5 on 64 bit HP-UX.

Thanks in advance.
Alex