RE: wio above 20% - is that high?

From: Andy Rivenes <arivenes_at_llnl.gov>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:14:20 -0800

Excellent advise of course, but I think another question to ask is why do you care? It may be that you think the "system" is slow, a process is slow, or you may just be concerned with what the number means. I would suggest that the first two are performance concerns and that you should heed Cary's advice. If however, you're simply concerned about the number then I would suggest that you consider the problem from a workload perspective. In other words, have I exceeded the capacity of my machine? To answer this, you might investigate the "rates" at which your system is doing work. If you find that you're workload is approaching your capacity then you'll have two responsible choices, reduce workload or increase capacity.

Andy Rivenes
arivenes_at_llnl.gov