Re: cpu average load

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:41:26 +0000

On 12/01/2004 04:41:48 AM, Martic Zoran wrote:

>=20
> But, not sure that it is not possible to be covered
> differently with timed_os_statistics parameter that is
> giving you at least some OS timing statistics from v$
> views.
>=20
> Is that reliable?
> Did anybody was playing with this apart from me?

I wasn't as oracle warns us, in the performance tuning manual, that =20 collecting OS statistics is extremely expensive. In addition to that, Oracle RDBMS as an OS monitor is extremely expensive compared to top, sar, iostat, vmstat or GlancePlus (this is an excellent monitor). Typically, if oracle processes are spending too much time in kernel =20 mode, there is a problem with the system health itself.

--=20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA