RE: Database monitoring tools

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:38:26 -0500

 I regret to say it, but Mamba as a free monitoring tool is dead. It now comes with a hefty rope attached for "remote DBA services". As for other monitoring tools, we use OEM's performance manager and a home grown Pro*C program. It has server well over the years & continues to do so. Also if your good at C try doing a monitoring tool in PHP (looks somewhat like & behaves somewhat like C, but with a WEB interface). You could also use HTML DB if you've got it setup. My situation was that damanagement wanted more "information" on what the DB's were doing, but they also did not want to spend any money and did not want anyone to be able to cause potential problems. Namely the tool had to be READ ONLY.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA