Database monitoring tools

From: Antonio Belloni <toni_belloni_at_yahoo.com.br>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:47:11 -0300 (ART)

Hi list,

We“ve been , for several years , monitoring and administering our Oracle databases with custom-made SQL scripts.

Using those scripts we are able to proactively avoid possible problems and everything works fine , performance is good , no one is complaining.

But , I don“t know why (maybe to show some nice hit ratios graphs to CIO) , management decided that we need a GUI tool to monitor our databases. I tried to deceive him from the idea , because we are a small shop (+- 10 instances , 50 Gb the largest one) and such tools are expensive , etc. But all my arguments were not sufficient to change his mind.

So , we are evaluating GUI tools and we“ve already looked at:
- BMC Patrol

Funny , now management agrees with me and said that all they are expensive tools.

So , I wish to know what you guys are using to monitor and administer your databases , if there is open-source monitoring tools (I“ve tested one called VROOM but , in my opinion , it su**s) and what you think about such tools. Maybe , with other points of view I can make him (the manager) to decide to keep using our scripts or dig in the pocket and buy the necessary tools.

Sorry for the long message and thanks in advance. Regards,
Antonio Belloni

Yahoo! Acesso Grįtis - Internet rįpida e grįtis. Instale o discador agora! http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/