Re: Oracle on iBook

From: Michael Maibaum <mike_at_maibaum.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:22:30 -0800

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 06:53:26AM -0700, Tim Gorman wrote:
>9i, yes. For quite a long time, and happily too. Because no Oracle
>Installer was involved; just "tar xvf"...
>
>10g -- problems. This is (finally) a regular distro using OUI. I got link
>errors, telling me that my version of "C" compiler was a couple builds too
>low. Not sure if that is really the problem, but it said that I should be
>at "X" and I found that I'm currently at less than "X". It said to download
>the new version of the compiler from Apple, but frankly I haven't been able
>to find one. Been casually googling around for one, but haven't found it
>yet...
>
>Installed 9i while on Mac OSX 10.2.8, later upgraded to 10.3.5, which is
>where I first tried to install 10g. Currently at 10.3.6...
>
>Has anyone gotten 10g installed on OSX?

I've had 9i and 10g on a G5 and 9i on a powerbook, I've not got around to updating the powerbook to 10g as I mostly use it as a client in any case to a 9i Solaris server.

I had no great problems installing 10g, though therre are some tripwires This url walks you through most of the issues. <http://www.crispdata.com/oracle_osx/>>

You need an uptodat version of the developer tools, which you can get as a free download by registering with the Apple Developer Connection (ADC) at <http://connect.apple.com/>

HTH Michael