MIIS

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:00:11 -0800

Anyone using MIIS, Microsoft Identity Integration Server, for = replication between Oracle databases. It appears it works something = like an ETL in that you map fields from one database onto fields for = another. It also maintains its own database in SQL Server so it can = perform fast refreshes. Much like at ETL data is pulled from one = database and pushed to others. Unlike an ETL which usually gathers = infromation from various sources and pushes the data out to a warehouse, = data can flow in any direction. Rules in MIIS say who is the = authorative source for the data and will even revert data back to the = value found in the authoritative source should that data be changed in = another database.

I'm not sure how all this works. Snapshots which we use quite a bit = here do not provide the same functionality. Perhaps Advanced Queuing = comes closer. Lot's of people like having a centralized place to = control data distributions which MIIS provides. I'm a bit leery of = placcing any dependency on Microsoft. The product does have momentum. = Data protection rules which we were said to be immutable may be changed = to accommodate this product.

Not to be too negative, the product does fill a need. I'm looking for = another answer.

Ian

=20