RE: MIIS

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:29:30 -0800

 MIIS is not based on Sybase's replication product. It is software = Microsoft acquired from another company a few years ago, and MIIS is = their latest release on of it. It's primary purpose is to synchronize = identity information betwee such repositories as SunOne and Active = Directory. But, it also will synchronize such information between = Oracle databases. It does not require any triggers. Data is pulled = from the various participating databases and compared by MIIS. Any = differences found are then fixed according to the rules in MIIS. The = central SQL Server database provides an audit trail, and can also be = accessed directly for current identiy information.

It is not as was being touted by our Windows group a solution to = replication. Its method of identifying new records via comparing = different datasets restricts its use to small datasets. Oracle has a = product, Oracle Identity Manager, Tuvoli has one also, and I think Sun = does as well.

I'm going to try to have Oracle demo theirs. =20

Ian