Re: Standby DB

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:35:08 +0100

Fahd,
I was only answering your 3rd question, apologies. It's hard to visit Miracle DBForum and UKOUG in a consecutive way ;-)

Q1:
It is the easiest way to keep DBNAME and instance name the same on both ends. I recommend as much symmetry as possible. It will save you from making mistakes in a failovered situation, finding yourself in a different environment than you are used to.

Q2:
I keep the service name the same on both ends as well. You can choose either to register only the primary database to its listener, or to run separate listeners for the Data Guard connection and for the application. You should only start the 'application' listener on the primary then, to prevent clients from connecting to the standby)

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===