RE: Check constraint

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:23:29 -0400

Bill,

I second what Jared said.

If I had to do it, I would give the scientists a transaction table where they entered their stuff. A trigger on this table would then update the real "NAMES" table, marking the one prior record as "Previous" and inserting the new record as "Current".

It's about the only way I can see this happening, as you cannot (within a trigger) update other records within the same table.

Another option is to provide a PL/SQL package for the scientists to use. They would call the package passing in the new information. The package would then perform the correct updates to the NAMES table. This could work with no new tables - just a change in operations.

Good Luck!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional