RE: Check constraint

From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:17:25 -0600

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Once we actually have an application
(I'm beginning to start on that now after 8 years of data cleanup), the
separate table and trigger mechanism would probably work best for user interaction. I'll have to experiment when I get to that point.

As it is right now, I need a simple way of allowing most spreadsheet = data
(which myself and one other guy have to load) to get into the database, =
so
user-friendly handling and error messages aren't that important.

So, as a quick fix, that works, I created the unique index with a = decode.
(The asktom site said the decode was quicker than case).

Being out of production DBA and development for 8 years, I'm behind the times and starting to play catch-up, and I was thinking that a unique index had to have all indexed columns be unique, I didn't realize that nulls were more or less ignored (and also makes a smaller index).

Bill Ferguson
U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team PO Box 25046, MS-750
Denver, Colorado 80225
Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321 Fax (303)236-4208

~ Think on a grand scale, start to implement on a small scale ~