RE: Oracle & HP OV SPI

From: Hostetter, Jay M <JHostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:25:19 -0400

Ask for the SPI documentation. I believe it comes with numerous templates for monitoring oracle. You can pick and choose what you want to monitor. You will need to setup a login to each database for the SPI to use.

We use Openview for monitoring various nodes. We purchased 1 SPI license just for testing purposes, but we never fully implemented it because:

  1. At the time, the agents didn't run on our platform.
  2. Our existing kornshell scripts did a fine job of monitoring the databases.
  3. The licensing fee per database instance wasn't in our budget.

If you are responsible for your company's Oracle databases, you need to get your hands on the box that runs OV, because it probably uses an Oracle database (at least our does - don't know if it is compatible with other dbs). Watch out for "message storms" which will flood tablespaces in your OV database.

Jay
=20