High oracle cpu on Windows 2000 w/ FailSafe 3.1.2 after patch applied for Security Alert #64

From: Mark Strickland <mstrickland_at_drugstore.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:12:29 -0700

I'm trying to figure out why the oracle process on a Windows 2000 server is consuming 98% of the cpu. Patch #3820881 for Oracle Security Alert #68 was recently applied. This is a 2-node FailSafe 3.1.2 cluster running Oracle 8.1.7.4. Wait events are all "idle" events for the Oracle background processes and "SQL*Net message from client" (with one "to client") for the user sessions. Unfortunately, timed_statistics is set to false in this database so I can't see which sessions are consuming cpu. Once I get the server to respond so I can issue a query in SQL*Plus, query results come back quickly. Navigating within Windows between SQL*Plus and, say, Task Manager, is glacially slow. Ideas?

Mark Strickland
Seattle, WA