RE: High oracle cpu on Windows 2000 w/ FailSafe 3.1.2 after patch applied for Security Alert #64

From: Mark Strickland <mstrickland_at_drugstore.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:01:33 -0700

I installed qslice on the server and I can see which thread within the oracle process is consuming the cpu. However, I can't match it to an Oracle session within the database. That one thread is consuming 24% of the cpu right now and the consumption will grow over the next couple of days until the server is hosed. I searched MetaLink. Here's the query I'm using:

select to_char(p.spid,'XXXX') "Thread ID",

       b.name "Background Process",
       s.username "User Name",
       s.osuser "OS User",
       s.status "STATUS",=20
       s.sid "Session ID",=20
       s.serial# "Serial No.",=20
       s.program "OS Program"  =20
from v$process p,=20
     v$bgprocess b,=20
     v$session s  =20
where s.paddr =3D p.addr and=20
      b.paddr(+) =3D p.addr;

Any ideas? Perhaps it is a thread related to FailSafe? We may backout the patch to see if things return to normal. I have an open TAR and the analyst hasn't reported any hairballs with regards to applying the patch in a FailSafe environment.

Thx!

Mark