Re: Please a parameter to disable undo, like _disable_logging

From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:24:21 +0100 (BST)

I can't see why the OP needs to disable anything to load 10,000,000 rows into a table.

This test just done on my old clunker laptop:

SQL> create table T tablespace users nologging   2 as select rownum x from x$ksmmem
  3 where rownum <= 10000000;

Table created.

Elapsed: 00:00:07.69

7 seconds! No hacking around with underscore parms etc, just a little nologging and the job's done. I would imagine that even the most mediocre of departmental style test servers could deliver 10mill rows even faster than 7 seconds.

*Creating* great swathes of test data is never a performance problem - what to do with it once you've created it is typically more the challenge.

hth
connor

Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions" ISBN: 1590592174 web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish, and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"