Re: Question in HOT BACKUP

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:02:35 -0700

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:00:00 -0400, Bobak, Mark <mark.bobak_at_il.proquest.com> wrote:

> My favorite argument is:
> Please describe a valid backup/recovery scenario where a backup
> copy of on-line redo is required to succeed. (Hint, there
> isn't one!)

Personally, there have been a few occasions where I have been very happy to have copies of the online logs.

For instance: someone sent me 200G of cold backup tape, but the database was not being shutdown cleanly. The online logs were needed of course. The folks at the other end would not own up to the bad shutdowns until I lifted the relevant bits of the alert.log and emailed it to the other "DBA" and the project managers.

I was thankful for his poor backup practice of backing up the logs, it saved us a bit of work.

He never returned by phone calls after that. ;)

--
Jared Still