Re: Oracle for Windows XP with INTEL inside

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:36:15 -0700

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:37:13 +0100, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:34:24 -0700, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I may have been thinking of Remote Terminal
> > Services, which I believe requires the listener
> > to be started, as you are not actually on the console
> > when you connect to the database.
>
> That used to be true, but is no longer true from 9i.

Guess I will have to try that, not to prove it , but just to reinforce in my head that it works. :)

> > As someone else already stated, it is the 'wrong' OS.
> >
> > Windows complicates everything it touches.
>
> I disagree with the first statement quite strongly, and with the
> second statement a bit. Windows does have a number of technical
> limitations that inhibit its scalability for more than (say) 150/200
> concurrent sessions or utilising more than 1.7gb or so of RAM per

Maybe I should clarify.

When I said 'complicates', I wasn't referring to configuration, I was referring to monitoring and maintenance. For instance:

*) Monitoring the alert.log in real time:

 Dead easy on unix
 Difficult on windows

*) getting the environment setup correctly for the task at hand on a server with multiple versions of Oracle:

Fairly easy on unix.
Fairly difficult on windows.

If you have 10g and 9i or less on the same windows server, it becomes very difficult. The Oracle Home selector does not work with 10g, and doesn't work all that well to start with. ie. no command line, non-interactive version.

*) Ensuring that all critical services/daemons are started on any other particular server, and restarting them if not:

Fairly simple on unix.
Fairly difficult on windows.

I don't say this because of because of bias towards unix/linux, but because of several years experience administering Oracle on both platforms, and finding many things more difficult to do on Windows than on *nix.

This doesn't mean the OS is not capable: it is. But MS has made it very difficult to get at various bits of the OS, the kind that any admin needs for something beyond the point-n-click variety of administration.

Yet another example of that: named pipes. It would have been pretty cool if MS made this part of the stdlib, but they didn't. This is why named pipes are not available for use with Oracle utilities from the command line. SQL*Loader is the lone exception, and there are limitations with that.

Jared

--
Jared Still