Re: Oracle 10G RedHat Linux

From: Rob Braun <bbraun_at_wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:59:04 -0700

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:47:39PM -0400, Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us wrote:
> According to the Quick Start Guide you need to setup ulimits. However,
> apparently there must be somewhere were the user oracle has a certain
> number of processes allocated that conflict with these limits. The
> error when logging on as oracle is:
>
> -bash: ulimit: max user processes: cannot modify limit
>
> What would I need to modify?

The QuickStart guide tells you to modify /etc/security/limits.conf to up these limits in addition to in your bash profile (or the equivalent for the shell you're running). I ran into trouble when using ssh due to privsep. Essentially, the /etc/security/limits.conf settings won't take effect if you're ssh'ing into the machine. I worked around this by adding: ulimit -u 16384
ulimit -n 16384

to /etc/init.d/sshd in the start() function.

Rob