RE: Oracle 10G RedHat Linux

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:00:12 -0400

I found a note specific to this in Metalink which provides a way to change the ssh behaviour:

The information in this article applies to:=20 Linux Kernel - Version: 3.0
Red Hat Advanced Server
Red Hat Linux RHEL 3.0
SLES AMD64=20
Errors
CANNOT
LIMIT
MODIFY
NOT
OPERATION
PERMITTED
ULIMIT Symptoms
Updating a soft limit using 'ulimit' command you receive an error message similar to:

'-bash: ulimit: max user processes: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted'=20
Changes
You have updated "/etc/security/limits.conf" with the appropriate information regarding soft&hard limit and
in "/etc/pam.d/login" you have this entry 'session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so'=20 Cause
this issue is documented in Red Hat bugzilla, reference # 99404

Recent opensshd provides a feature called privilege separation. This feature
will not currently work properly with GNU/Linux PAM implementations. The symptom is that the method to set hard and soft limits will not work properly from an ssh session whose daemon is running
privilege separation.=20
Fix
So, be sure to include the configuration statement "UsePrivilegeSeparation no"=20
in your sshd configuration file (found in /etc/ssh/sshd_config).=20