RE: Oracle RAC

From: Muqthar Ahmed <Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:13:50 -0400

Pawan,

We have AIX (5.2), EMC storage, Oracle9i (9.2.0.5.0) RAC (3 nodes). Yes, RAC works only with RAW files.

I use RMAN to backup Production database. I create development database using Production backup(done by RMAN) in NON-RAC system. All my development databases are using FILE SYSTEM (not RAW). RMAN backup is done at block-level therefore it does not matter whether you are backing up RAW datafiles or FILE SYSTEM datafiles.

Since RAW files name are not Oracle standand, I have created a SOFT LINK to create datafiles. For example:

RAW FILE:
/dev/sys1_1024m
/dev/rsys1_1024m

DATAFILE (Soft Link):

        $ ln -s /dev/rsys1_1024m /u01/oracle/oradata/prod/prod_raw_system_1_1024m.dbf

Now my datafile name in Production database is /u01/oracle/oradata/prod/prod_raw_system_1_1024m.dbf.

I strongly advise you to put the size in RAW file name because you can not find out the size of RAW file.

I am using OEM, you do not need any third party software. You have to know lot of GV$ views.

Muqthar
Oracle9i Ceritified DBA