Undo Tablespace question

From: Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:16:15 +0100

Now that we've finally got some 9i databases, I'm quite keen to switch = from Manual to Automatic Undo Management. It all looks pretty = straightforward, but I do have a couple of questions that the "How To" = guides don't really address...

  1. If I don't have any requirement for long-term retention of Undo data = after transactions commit, so that the default retention of 900 seconds = is quite sufficient, then what multiplier should I use when calculating = the size of my Undo Tablespace relative to the size of the old RBS = tablespace? Say I currently have 500Mb RBS tablespace, then should a = 500Mb undo tablespace be adequate, or should I allow double (1Gb) or = more?
  2. What monitoring practices are advisable to check the adequacy of the = undo tablespace provision? Can anyone point me at any webpages with = articles about monitoring AUM activity, for instance?
  3. Once I've switched from Manual to Auto, does the RBS tablespace then = become completely superfluous? Can it be dropped? And what of the =
    "rollback_segments" initialisation parameter? Do I remove this from the =
    parameter file, or is it best left there "just in case"?

Before I go diving in, in cavalier manner, I always like to check for =
"gotchas"!

Regards,

Paul Vincent
DBA