Re: Confusing update issue!

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:28:43 +1000

Hi Denham,

No, I've never seen anything like this before but my low tech way of debugging it would be to place select statements between a handful of updates to try and understand the process.. Even if you keep selecting the first row to be modified. The file isn't so large that the same row is being updated twice is it?

I guess a slightly more high tech approach would be to place a materialized view log onto the table so that you can then parse through all changes to a particular row. The ordering of the records and details of what changed when may give you a good clue as to where to look.

My gut feel is that there will be a quite innocent and simple explanation once you are able to understand how many times the row is being modified and when exactly the magic date is being set - either of my two suggestions above should help that diagnosis.

Regards,

      Mark.

                      "Denham Eva"
                      <EVAD_at_TFMC.co.za>         To:       <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
                      Sent by:                  cc:
                      oracle-l-bounce_at_fr        Subject:  Confusing update issue!
                      eelists.org

                      06/09/2004 18:26
                      Please respond to
                      EVAD

Hello Group,

Need an explanation for the following occurrence.

We have a large script doing approximately 2000 updates.

Within this script there is a update of a date column with a date such as '8-SEP-2004'

[snip]
Has anyone experienced this before? Any explanations?

Is there something else I can try to debug this issue that I have not tried?

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limited and CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by them.