Re: Question re Linux + Oracle

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:14:16 -0400

I am able to verify this. Init on Red Riding Hood versions runs the "K" script if and only if it can find a corresponding "lock" file. Without oracle started, the directory listing looks like this:
$ ls /var/lock/subsys

anacron  cups      local    random     spamassassin  xfs
apache   gpm       network  sendmail   sshd          xinetd
crond    keytable  ntpd     sm-client  syslog

When I start it, it looks like this:
SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on Mon Sep 6 17:03:37 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 335544320 bytes

Fixed Size                   779016 bytes
Variable Size             145759480 bytes
Database Buffers          188743680 bytes
Redo Buffers                 262144 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL> Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

Database "10g" warm started.
$ ls /var/lock/subsys

anacron  cups      local    oracle    sm-client     syslog
apache   gpm       network  random    spamassassin  xfs
crond    keytable  ntpd     sendmail  sshd          xinetd

You'll notice that there is now /var/lock/subsys/oracle. It only applies to services which are started and configured using RH checkconfig mechanism. In order to facilitate that, script has to contain subsystem description, as comments, in the first few lines. Here is what /etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle looks like on my box:
$ sudo cat /etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle

#!/bin/sh
# oracle
#
# chkconfig: 2345 9 99

case $1 in
start)

        su - oracle -c "lsnrctl start;dbstart";
        touch /var/lock/subsys/oracle
        ;;
stop)   su - oracle -c "dbshut;lsnrctl stop";
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/oracle
        ;;
*)      echo "Usage:oracle [start|stop]";
        ;;

esac;

That enables me to forget all about sqlplus "/ as sysdba" and start/stop oracle using "service" command:

$ su - root

Password:
[root_at_medo root]# service oracle stop

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on Mon Sep 6 17:09:35 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> Connected.
SQL> Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options Database "10g" shut down.

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on 06-SEP-2004 17:09:42

Copyright (c) 1991, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1521))) The command completed successfully
[root_at_medo root]#

The /var/lock/subsys/oracle file is a relict from the past, because with the "checkconfig", it will stop the service even without that file being present. It used to work that way only in in Red Riding Hood v7.3 and 8.0. That behavior was gone in RH 9 and later versions.

On 09/06/2004 06:51:38 AM, Nuno Souto wrote:

> Just been informed that with Red Hat server
> there is a directory - /var/log/subsys - that
> is used on an "init 6" to force an orderly
> restart of Oracle.  Apparently, if there is
> a "touch" file in there called "oracle", an
> init 6 will cause the "rc" shutdown and startup
> scripts to kick in. Otherwise, all that happens
> is a "kill" of the oracle processes.
>
> Has ayone been able to verify this?  Or even find
> it in other Linux dists?  My Suse is strangely silent
> on any of this.
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_bizmail.com.au