RE: Database Theory books

From: Gogala, Mladen <Mladen.Gogala_at_aetn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:09:55 -0400

I'd try Seymour Lipschutz "Outline of the set theory". It covers "na=EFve" (Cantor's) set theory, axiom of choice, well ordering theorem, transfinite induction and Zorn's lemma ("If every totally=20 ordered subset of a set has a maximal element, then the set itself=20 has at least one maximal element"). It also covers existence (or the=20 lack of it) of "set of all sets" (mother of all sets, to use sadamesque language). I mentioned Zorn's lemma because of its extreme importance in various proofs. One of the corollaries is that every vector space=20 has at leas one basis, which is sometimes referred to as the "basic = theorem
of linear algebra").
It also explains union, intersection, Cartesian product, relations and alike. If you want to understand relational theory, there is no better=20 way then to byte the bullet and read a set theory book. The book that I'm suggesting doesn't require any knowledge of higher mathematics and, although it is a mathematical book itself, is very well written. = Beware,
it is not an easy reading for someone without mathematical background.

--
Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network