RE: Count(*) not doing a FTS??

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:56:50 -0500

This is off the mark a little bit, but:

        I had a system that was getting killed by users doing Select count(*) all the time.
When I asked them what they needed the information for they admitted to only needing approximate values for the row counts.

        Since we did full exports everyday I offered them an alternative of executing a UNIX script that would display what had been exported the last few weeks. This database only kept one export file on disk, but we had quite a few logs.

        They'd run the command and get back something like the list below only I included the correct date information for each line.

        And they were very happy because it was a hell of a lot faster for the larger tables and I was happy because they stopped clobbering the buffer pool.

        Larry

MSI_STATS_LOG      11813 rows exported
MSI_STATS_LOG      12202 rows exported
MSI_STATS_LOG      12573 rows exported
MSI_STATS_LOG      12927 rows exported

PS you can also generate the report without generating the dmp file.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank You.
---
To unsubscribe - mailto:oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org&subject=unsubscribe
To read recent messages - http://freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/09-2004