When will Oracle reuse free space created with deletes

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:02:23 +0000

Been playing around.... When will Oracle attempt to reuse the space freed up by deletes? Seems like Oracle tends to insert farther down the heap, even if there is free space at the head of the table? Please see below?
rgaffuri> create table x (y number);
Table created.
rgaffuri> insert into x values(1);
1 row created.
rgaffuri> insert into x values(2);
1 row created.
rgaffuri insert into x values (3);
1 row created.
rgaffuri> select y from x;

         1
         2
         3

rgaffuri> delete from x where y = 1;
1 row deleted.
rgaffuri> select y from x;
         2
         3

rgaffuri> insert into x values(4);
1 row created.
rgaffuri> select y from x;
         2
         3
         4

If I insert 5 next, in what case would I see select y from x
5
2
3
4