RE: BINARIES - San or Local Storage

From: Loughmiller, Greg <greg.loughmiller_at_cingular.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:59:11 -0500

I have read this thread, and haven't seen any one mention hardware clustering and your file systems..
We typically run every database in a HW clustering config (SUN cluster, Veritas VCS,etc). We found that placing the binaries on the SAN allowed us to "fail over" a little more effectively. Just one way of doing it.... Works better with our overall strategy. When the hardware goes "south", the resource groups have the Oracle binaries defined as a component, the file systems for the binaries/data files fail over to the member node of the cluster.

Another "standard" has been to use the internal drives for OS required items (TMP, SWAP, /opt, /home , etc). All products/applications get to live on the SAN. Now there are exceptions as vendors like to force the use of specific file systems(why?) like /etc or /var/opt.

greg