Is anyone using Cluster file system using OCFS for Linux for Oracle Cluster Registry and CRS voting disk?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 03:36:50 -0400

Per B10766_04, 5-22, 5-23, it *IS NOT* supported to use Cluster file system using OCFS for Linux to contain $ORACLE_BASE, but it *IS* supported to place Cluster Ready Services (CRS) files on OCFS.

This gives me pause. If I can't trust it to hold my binaries, I'm not sure I want to trust it to hold my voting disk. So far I'm leaning toward fdisk raw on shared volumes, but I want to be sure I am not ignoring possible advantages of new technology. (Even though I'm so old I personally took the photo for the cover of Brook's book, I don't want to join the other dinosaurs in the tar pit quite yet.)

Now for ASM, I understand it is a logical conundrum and not a lack of trust that prevents ASM from containing CRS objects, since CRS must be there to start {GRID|RAC} databases, so you can't start the ASM that would be holding the CRS if you could put it there. So the woodchuck can't chuck wood. And I don't even want to start the conversation of having complementary node groups hosting each other's CRS areas, or having a whole grid that does nothing but run as much ASM as you need and other grids talk to it and don't really have file store of their own. I'm not even sure that would scale, anyway.

But for OCFS, I have not found the reason for not using OCFS for $ORACLE_BASE, so I'm jumping to the normal paranoid DBA assumption that it can't really be trusted.

So, before I even experiment with the option, I am interested both in specifically whether anyone is using OCFS for CRS areas *AND* general success or lack thereof of OCFS for Linux. If none of all y'all have beat on OCFS hard, maybe I'll give it a whirl, but on this list I'm guessing someone has this all figured out. Hmm. I hope it's not in the FAQ. Other than the unexplained prohibition of putting $ORACLE_BASE on OCFS, at least I haven't seen it in the FMs.

TIA, mwf