RE: LiveReorg vs Oracle's online reorg capabilities

From: Vergara, Michael (TEM) <mvergara_at_guidant.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:21:34 -0700

Jared:

To keep response times down where the users like it. Despite the best efforts of the DBA and ABAP groups, many of SAP's queries end up doing FTSs, and an FTS on our largest table (40+GB) takes too long for the users.

SAP's archiving strategy actually does not remove the data from user accessibility. Archived data is stored in a large flat file of proprietary design, and can be stored on slow JBoD or DVD storage. Users understand that access to data=20 that's over two or three years old (depends on the data) will be slow, and they can accept that. Everything else is now! now! now!

Cheers,
Mike