Re: d/b health check

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:56:20 +0200

David,

  This is a pretty subjective topic which is opened to a wide array of interpretations. I would tend to think that a database is healthy when internally there isn't too much chaining, that there is no HWM problem, that basically design and structures match what we want to do, and that init.ora parameters are not outrageously shocking.

 One however can have dreadful performance on an otherwise 'healthy' database, as everybody knows. And you can even have crazy requirements with which, whatever you do, you cannot win (the DSS type of query againts an OLTPdatabase, for instance) unless you rethink the system.

IMHO, it all starts with identifying what is 'typical' of your system - perhaps identifying a handful of key queries - and checking how things (response time breakdown and all, ie number of logons, number of executions) evolve over time. If it deteriorates under an identical load, then it is a database problem. Otherwise it can be anything.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult

RoughSea Ltd
http://www.roughsea.com

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:32 , Lord David <DLord_at_ironmountain.co.uk> sent:

All,

Can anyone point me to a good outline for a 'database health-check'. I.e. is it best to base it on statspack/bstat/estat, some form of response time breakdown (I'm reading Cary's book at the moment) or something else entirely.

Regards
--

David Lord
Senior DBA