Re: DBA interviews

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:18:59 -0700

oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org wrote on 08/20/2004 02:45:59 PM:

> 2. The following is a really tricky counter-intuitive SQL question, that
> have never seen in practice(got it out of an academic textbook. Its
really
> simple to do in relational algebra) Don't them use Oracle either. I want
> them to do it on a white board(mainly for intimidation, I want to get
rid of
> people who give up real quick). I don't expect people to get it most of
the
> time. I just want to see how hard you try. Most people won't even give
it a
> good try. There are two solutions.
>
> You have 3 tables. Saliors, BoatsXSailors, Boats. This is a many to many
> relationship. Assume the keys are Sailor_id, salXBoat_id, Boat_id. Find
all
> the sailors that have used all the boats.

I do much the same. I give them the definitions of several tables, and ask
for increasingly difficult queries based on the tables.

One of them requires an outer join and a couple other things. A number of folks have made it clear through the test, a few haven't.

One of those that didn't quite make it through had the audacity to argue with me about the correctness of my supplied answer.

It wasn't about whether I was right or wrong, it was the ridiculous way he acted in an interview.

He is probably not much fun to work with, though I never actually fount out.

> 3. Got this one off asktom. Draw me a picture of the Oracle database
> including all background process, memory structures, and file systems.
Then
> I ask about interactions. I don't want it memorized, but I want big
picture
> knowledge about redo, undo, etc...

Wouldn't have worked. For some reason HR sent us candidates that had never worked with Oracle, just SQL server. Pretty lame.

Jared