Re: DBA interviews

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:25:31 -0700 (PDT)

Question 2 -- intimidation. yep. that's definitely someone I want to work for, someone who tries to bully me on an interview. Yep.

I can top your 3.5 hour interview.... I interviewed at one company where I was there from 9am until 4pm, saw 11 people. Even lunch was part of the interview, I talked with HR. We ranged from detailed DBA work to design to network/system administration to management theory.

This is an interesting subject as most of the people at my company have been offered the "opportunity" to opt-in to a voluntary severance program. If I do so, I could be interviewing again. Soon. I'd likely fail your interview.

We've done this subject before, I'll repeat what I've said. I don't really care if you have memorized syntax. If you get the ordering of the "group by" "order by" and "having" clauses wrong I don't really care, I presume you are capable of figuring out what you've done wrong and looking it up in the docs. I don't write enough SQL myself to not have to refer back to the SQL Reference manual on occasion.

I ask:

  1. Tell me your worst nightmare. What went wrong, how could you have prevented it and how did you resolve it.
  2. Tell me the thing you are most proud of. It could be the solution to the above problem, it could be a really cool way of extracting data, it could be the award you won for a presentation. Of course, if it's for a presentation, I'm gonna ask you to tell me all about the presentation.
  3. How do you learn? Do you read the docs only? Do you have Oracle on your PC at home and play with it? Are you on any email lists? What books are on your shelves at home or in the office.

I seem to recall hearing Connor talk about that interview of "draw me the Oracle database and instance" and then go further and further into depth. It could have been Tom as well or instead, my memory could be faulty, it was a while ago and I pay attention to what both of them say.