Re: SQL*Plus startup commands

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:03:41 +0100

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:17:38 +0300, Thalis Kalfigopoulos <t.kalfigopoulos_at_alumil.com> wrote:

> > It was an excellent newbie question as well. you told us what you
> > wanted to do, the steps that you'd gone through to get there and your
> > version information. This is rare when asking technical questions.
>
> Took me a whole 10' to write ;-)

Never the less.

For example from another forum.

"I need to size a storage system. I know that I will have two tables, each with eight million records. I will have 10 users, each of whom will be doing complex reports simultaneously, each of which does joins against those eight million record tables.

What are some guidelines for best and and worst case, about the number of IOs per second that this system will generate?"

Of course it could be wrose, the questioner might have asked a storage vendor this question.

> > Unless you have any old databases to connect to (like prior to 8174)
> > I'd suggest you consider getting the 10g client just for the
> > enhancements to sqlplus alone.
>
> That would be nice, but wouldn't there be any side-effects? For you to suggest it, I presume no.

Well there is a rather large side-effect that i was hinting at, in that if you have some currently unsupported databases, then connecting to them from 10g is also unsupported; but worse may not actually work at all.

> So now the obvious question: how do I get the "10g client"? Need to have the 10g CDs?
> What sort of enhancements are we talking about anyway?

http://tinyurl.com/3jczk is the full list.

My personal favourite, cos I'm good at being called away/distracted and then believing the sql prompt on screen is exactly what you were looking at - namely setting the prompt to something meaningful is done every time you *connect* rather than every time you start a sql*plus session.

The changes to spooling are good as well, as is the windows directory idiosyncracy support if you are on windows.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA