Re: standards

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:32:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Rachel,

> --- Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > One thing I've finally decided is fairly useless
> is
> > the idea, within
> > naming standards, of identifying the type of
> object
> > by a prefix. Who
> > cares?

> (stuff from me)
> I had *one* link with examples of simple PL/SQL
> variable prefixes, and a *second* link which argued
> against all PL/SQL prefixes (with the caveat to
> check
> the case #1 mentioned above). Both links were great.
>
> If I can find these two links again today or
> tomorrow
> I will post them to the list.

  1. I found the first link, and its already been mentioned. Download and extract "standards.doc":

ftp://ftp.oreilly.de/pub/ora/examples/oracle/orbestprac/examples.zip

I prefer to follow this, e.g. simple prefixes.

2) I could not find the second link, which was a PL/SQL standards document calling for no prefixes. It was very good, and I think it was posted at a university? Instead, I found a link that was similar:

http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~c391/manual/chapt9.html

If one looks under the "Naming Conventions" there are good examples of possible variable scope problems with no prefixes.

HTH Regards,

Mike Thomas

Do You Yahoo!?