Re: standards

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Good point for discussion. Is it a degree of how much detail?

  1. I prefer to prefix my PL/SQL function/procedure parameters with 'p_' to help with code maintenance and error prevention.

Because, a mis-understanding can arise when a parameter name matches a name in a SQL query. The 'p_' helps in these few cases.

2) I think its well documented that complex variable prefixes *hurt* understanding of code. I typically use simple variable prefixes to show basic scope.

I had *one* link with examples of simple PL/SQL variable prefixes, and a *second* link which argued against all PL/SQL prefixes (with the caveat to check the case #1 mentioned above). Both links were great.

If I can find these two links again today or tomorrow I will post them to the list.

Regards,

Mike Thomas

Do You Yahoo!?