RE: oracle 8I performanance testing

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:42:06 -0500

Prakash

   You should purchase a copy of Cary's book "Optimizing Oracle Performance".

   If you are new to Oracle, facing a significant performance problem, you will probably end up paying someone to help you understand and resolve your performance problems. The problem is how to know whose method to trust. Cary's book does the best job of any available resource for understanding the underlying issues, which will help you evaluate the people that will offer to provide you help. As you will be able to see from the sample chapter, Cary's book is written in a clear easy-to-understand manner.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." -- C.S. Lewis

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Cary Millsap Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 5:27 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Prakash,

What my staff do as a matter of routine is the following:

  1. Profile the response time of each of the business's most important =
    =3D
    user actions.
  2. Assess those response time profiles, searching for any wasted time =
    =3D
    that can be removed inexpensively (typically by means other than hardware upgrades).
  3. If response time is still too large (that is, if performance is still
    =3D
    too poor), then quantify the number of seconds that could be saved by =3D upgrading a hardware component.
  4. If the projected benefit outweighs the projected cost, then move =3D forward with the upgrade. (Which in most cases, presumably, will involve a pre-production testing phase.)

See pages 1-69 of "Optimizing Oracle Performance" for more details.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 8/10 Boston, 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 =3D Charlotte
- SQL Optimization 101: 7/26 Washington DC, 8/16 Minneapolis, 9/20 =3D Hartford
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas - Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...