RE: oracle 8I performanance testing

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:26:47 -0500

Prakash,

What my staff do as a matter of routine is the following:

  1. Profile the response time of each of the business's most important = user actions.
  2. Assess those response time profiles, searching for any wasted time = that can be removed inexpensively (typically by means other than hardware upgrades).
  3. If response time is still too large (that is, if performance is still = too poor), then quantify the number of seconds that could be saved by = upgrading a hardware component.
  4. If the projected benefit outweighs the projected cost, then move = forward with the upgrade. (Which in most cases, presumably, will involve a pre-production testing phase.)

See pages 1-69 of "Optimizing Oracle Performance" for more details.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 8/10 Boston, 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 = Charlotte
- SQL Optimization 101: 7/26 Washington DC, 8/16 Minneapolis, 9/20 = Hartford
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas - Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...