RE: Microsurvey - row count and global indexes in OLTP/DW

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:39:37 -0400

Interestingly enough (at least to me), assemble global index from local indexes is one of a very few requests not yet implemented from the 1991-1993 Oracle VLDB group's list of over 60 requirements to make Oracle suitable for large enterprise databases. Over 40% each went into 7.1 and 8.x, and a few, such as classes of rollbacks by name for set transaction with exclusive and willing to wait were apparently rejected for "ease of use", but I think assemble global from locals may have died by omission rather than intentionally.

When Oracle described how they planned to solve several of the functional requirements by implementing partitioning, one of the problems it was supposed to solve was time and space to build very large indexes.

Local indexes on each partition partially solved the problem, but being able to assemble a global index (match merge instead of an n log n minimum cost of sort) from the local indexes fell off the list at some point. Of course the dialog dwindled as the implementation phase began, and the players and roles had all changed by the time partitioning really started working well enough to notice.

I wonder if there is a significant enough market need for this feature to get it back under consideration. Of course in practice you would incur double index maintenance cost if you kept the locals from which you assembled the globals.

Tanel - In your experience, would quicker rebuild have been sufficient cause for you to keep the component locals? Any others with experience in very large globals care to chime in on this hypothesis?

mwf