RE: Tracing exp

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:36:03 -0700

Peter,

>We have a third party application which does some replication by doing
>a series of exports (Oracle exp) from the source database and using
>the generated files to import into the target database. Since

Exp uses Full Table Scans by default, so there isn't much that you would be able to do. Be aware though, that you could tweak the BUFFER=, DIRECT= and certain other parameters to get better export performance. In 8i and above, you should also be able to use the "QUERY=" clause to restrict the rows that are exported. Use of the latter might change your exec plan from FTS to indexed read depending on the clause...

>The userid under which these exp's run is used for other
>purposes, so I would prefer not to use a login trigger for this purpose.

A login trigger *should* be able to get the program name from V$session - See Metalink Note: 278852.1.

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Disappointment is inevitable, but Discouragement is optional!