Re: Measuring SQL Net Traffic

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:03:54 +0300

> Now v$sesstat has session related information which is updated to =
> v$sysstat
> at session termination. I suppose if I could manufacture some sort of
> pre-logoff trigger which captures this information based on machine =
> from
> v$session (to restrict connections from other sources), but as all the
> connections are going through a single SQL Net Listener, isn't there =
> some
> easier method of information gathering here.

Yep, you could use a before logoff trigger to populate your custom table with all statistics you need. This method is very flexible and will probably put less load on your server than any sqlnet tracing on server side will do. Btw, Oracle 10g active sessison history (ASH) has somewhat similar approach.

Also, sqlnet listener only helps a client to make connection to server process, it doesn't participate in communication after the connection is made, thus you can't get useful information about total network traffic from there.

Tanel.