Opinion on NLS_SORT settings

From: Harvinder Singh <Harvinder.Singh_at_MetraTech.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:33:06 -0400

Hi,

We are porting our application from SQL Server to Oracle and since we use case insensitive sorting in SQL Server so we also have to implement case insensitive searches in Oracle at the database level. We are thinking of setting the following values while creating database or particular instance:
NLS_SORT =3D binary_ci
NLS_COMP =3D ANSI (default is binary)

Is there any drawback of using the above settings at database level or it is better to create function-based indexes for UPPER comparisons.

Thanks
--Harvinder